Also known as design/construct, or single source responsibility, “Design Build” is a method of project delivery where one entity (the design-build team) works under a single contract with the project owner to provide design and construction services.
This is just one entity – one unified flow of work from initial concept through completion.
Design-build successfully has delivered office buildings, school, stadiums, transportation and water projects across the country, and around the world with superior results.
As an alternative to design-bid-build, or construction management projects, design-build project delivery system use has greatly accelerated in the United States over the past 15 years. It has become one of the most significant trends in design and construction today.
Contract, One Integrated Team
With just a single contract between the owner and the design-build team, project delivery is a seamless process, saving money and time by transforming the relationship between designers and builders. This helps to form an alliance which can foster collaboration and teamwork that is united from the outset of every project.
The Design-Build Advantage
- Faster Delivery – Work is completed faster and with fewer problems with a collaborative project management effort.
- Cost Savings – With an integrated team, tasks can be geared toward efficiency and innovation.
- Singular Responsibility – Only one entity is held accountable for schedules, costs, and performance.
- Better Quality – With design-builders, needs are met based on performance, not minimum design requirements, often developing innovations to deliver a better project than initially imagined.
- Decreased Administrative Burden – Owners are able to focus on the project, rather than managing contracts.
- Risk Reduction – The design-build team assumes additional risk.
- Litigation Claim Minimized – Closing of warranty gaps owners virtually eliminates litigation claims.